Taken in the mid 1960's, these photos give a good indication of the progress made in the Parish of Our Lady of Lourdes. The photo on the left is taken from the back corner of the school property and shows the converted army hut used as the original Convent School. The photo on the right was taken on the school side of Mains Road, looking towards Mt Gravatt Mountain. It clearly shows the old railway bridge and the mango trees which lined the church property.Our Lady of Lourdes School began in 1952 in a converted Army hut which served as two classrooms for the initial enrolment of forty-nine pupils. The teachers were all Sisters of St Joseph who travelled by train from Moorooka each day to teach the children, until the Convent was built in March 1957.With the growth in the number of families in the parish came the pressing need for more classrooms, which necessitated the building of a three-roomed block which is situated directly behind the present convent. In the days before any government funding, this building only became a reality through the efforts of parishioners who, weekend after weekend, volunteered their labour and resources, so that it could be opened in 1960.The mid 1960's saw the start of major suburban development in the Sunnybank area. The increase in population is reflected in our school numbers which made it necessary in 1968 to open a two-storey block and Administration Centre.In 1972 another school block consisting of two triple teaching areas, withdrawal areas, staff room and office was opened. This was the first open plan structure in the Catholic Primary Education System in Queensland. As the years progressed, existing school buildings were modified and any new buildings erected were in keeping with this modern team-teaching form of education.In 1976 the second double-storey building, which runs parallel to Mains Road at the back of the premises, was opened and in 1977 our modern airconditioned school library became a reality. The first lay principal was appointed in 1983.One of the projects of the Parish's 1989 Planned Giving Programme was the establishment of an After-school and Vacation Care Programme.The school today is administered by the Brisbane Catholic Education Office.